Tuesday, September 3, 2013

sobriety

i stole the letter you wrote her
because the words made me feel better

lucky…home…

loose vows I drove out
in a limo
still I swear my body lay 
in a hurse

i used to pry open rope with my teeth
to watch sails fall

the holidays aren't for you,
you know this

you'll work time and a half
to watch crowds
float down subsidized
boardwalks
past the place you work
their arms will be nets
mouths on hooks
feet white speed boats

but you'll be sorting
celery from bok choy
at the 24 hour store

maddened cuz no one else 
knows how to live life with purpose

I stare at hot photocopies
as if they had souls
as if they knew what they meant to me
the brown legal envelopes
flatten their chests
and breathe smoke
till I worry they'll catch

but they haven't yet
and i've still got my 
sense of …
and my sobriety mostly

a few letters you wrote

to someone before me

No comments:

Followers